The Union on Eighth, Georgetown, Texas
The Union on Eighth seeks a Special Events Manager to ensure the rental period is well and efficiently managed. This position offers an experienced individual a long term, part-time opportunity at one of the Austin area’s premiere event venue locations.
The primary duty of the venue manager is to oversee all operations of the venue during the contracted rental period. This includes the management of all staff, the oversight of all procedures and the troubleshooting of any problems.
The role is very dynamic, incorporating a wide variety of tasks and event types. There is a strong people-focused element to this role by virtue of liaising with event contributors, vendors, clients, etc. On the day of an event, problem solving, creativity and determination all play their part in making an event successful.
This person must be personable, creative, show initiative, and have strong problem solving skills. They also need to possess the ability to work independently. This person should also hold good interpersonal skills for working with internal staff, and other management.
Excellent written and oral communication skills and customer service skills is absolutely essential, you are the glue that hold the event together.
Applicants must be able to demonstrate evidence of each of the following competencies, which will be tested during the probationary period and at interview level.
- Managing and Supervising Others: Provide facility oversight for each rental and be available for client as the point of contact throughout the event. Provide direction for catering and all other vendor services for each event from set-up to break-down. Interact with the program, education and exhibition departments to assure that equipment, event space and other resources are available for event execution.
- Health & Safety: The ability to ensure that that all the building and associated facilities are at all times safe for the use of the public and the welfare of the staff is not compromised.
- Sales Skills: Ability to provide onsite tours to perspective clients and close the deal.
- Interpersonal Skills: The ability to build a rapport with others, listening and learning as well as offering help and support to vendors and clients.
- Customer Care: A sound knowledge of customer care principals and practice with the ability to understand and respond to customer needs to maximize customer enjoyment and use of facilities.
Required Skills and Proficiencies
- Excellent people-focused skills.
- Strong sales skills.
- Comfortable working in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work with a wide variety of individuals and inspire enthusiasm for The Union.
- Strong computer skills.
- Strong time management and organizations skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communion skills.
- Discretion and ability to maintain confidentiality.
Required Education and Experience
- Experienced in corporate sales, hospitality industry sales, venue rentals or related industry.
- Two years’ experience in event planning or related industry preferred.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Essential physical requirements include standing and walking for long periods of time and the ability to frequently lift 20 pounds of weigh.
- Must have reliable transportation to and from work.
- Be able to pass criminal background check.
- Work is preformed largely indoors, however work outdoors is often required, sometimes in adverse weather conditions.
- Evening, night and weekend hours are required. This position requires a heavy weekend commitment. Availability and eagerness to work weeknights and weekends is a must. Hours vary by season.
- Based on experience.
- If interested, please send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
Phone calls will not be accepted or returned.